Monday, February 21, 2005

Intermission

Taking a break. Before I post my other pics, I shall introduce some artists I admire.

Being a big fan of Magic: the Gathering, it's not surprising that I know some of my favorite artists through there. Today, I'll talk about John Avon.

John Avon is famous for his fabulous landscapes. I can't really find a term for it, I guess you could call it 'realistic fantasy'. Check out some landscapes he illustrated, like Tranquil Garden, Cloudcrest Lake or Winding Canyons. It's hard to believe that they're drawn out of paints and airbrush.

His talents aren't just in landscapes. Look at Life Burst. It just looks like a photo. Or the abstractness and sheer beauty of Aura Flux. It's not hard to see why his art is appreciated by Magic fans all over the world.

My favorite Avon piece would be a piece of lowly Plains:
>
In case you don't know, Plains is one of the five 'basic land' cards in the game, your primary resource. Everyone uses them to build their decks. And to paint such a breathtaking picture for such a mundane card, it's a respectful job indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home